MAKE A SILVER RING IN A DAY
This one day workshop led by Jane Tadrist is a great introduction to traditional silver jewellery making.
YOU WILL LEARN
- How to size your ring
- Metal cutting – how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellers’ saw frames
- Texturing and stamping – experiment with hammers, letter and pattern punches to create texture
- Drilling – use a drill to part or fully drill decorative holes
- Soldering – use a propane torch to anneal (soften) and solder (join) metal to make a ring band
- Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
- Patinate – use blackening compound to highlight parts of your design (optional)
You can experiment with copper prior to making your own unique silver band ring.
Cost - $225 [includes all materials (copper, silver and access to specialist tools), refreshments and lunch].
No previous experience is required.
- Pens and pencils, sketch book/paper
- If making a ring for someone else – bring the ring size letter or a ring that fits the person
- Closed-in shoes required
- Please wear old clothes
- Long hair must be tied back
*Class size is limited to four students to allow for safe distancing. Face masks will be worn at certain points in the day, so please bring one!